Saturday 16 July 2011

Burn burn burn

Heartburn, that is.

Ouchie!

Been at a barbecue this afternoon, but I wasn't aware of eating anything notably heartburn inducing. Still, I have heartburn of death. Gaviscon doesn't touch it and lying down is not happening. Sleep not looking imminent.

Nice spending time with friends, although they seemed surprised that I'm less dependent on crutches than they imagined. I can obviously manage without them, it just gets painful quicker. So I left them in the car, managed fine, and was in a LOT of pain by the time we left. Ah well.

No real pregnancy news today. I am now 29 weeks pregnant, into week 30. If all goes to plan, I will have a baby daughter in 10 weeks and 2 days time. Ooh!

Although that in itself is extremely overwhelming to comprehend. Much as I can't wait, and I long not to be pregnant any more, I find the concept of dealing with a newborn rather daunting. Just now if I am exhausted I can pretty much have a lie down. The boys can be distracted, and indeed told to give me an hour, and they're big and trustworthy enough to manage. Not so with a baby: if they need you, tough if you're not awake/alert/well enough. And a baby doesn't go to anything sans mummy, so doctors and dentists and the likes are much trickier. While in theory one baby will be easier than two, there are the following downsides to a second round of baby:

1) I have two older children that need looking after. If baby is up all night, I'll still be up first thing with the boys.

2) I may have had two babies first time round, but they were easy babies. This may not be an easy baby.

3) the existing children have a lot of stuff. Lego and the likes being the most scary. How to keep that away from baby???

Basically, there's a lot more to think about with older children around. And that's not even taking into panicky consideration all that has to be done prior to baby's birth, not least the dissertation.

Ugh. I long for a daughter, I love that she's coming and I will delight in her. I suspect this time round I will appreciate her early days more rather than wishing them away, having seen what comes next.

Just feelin' overwhelmed today.


No comments:

Post a Comment