Sunday 26 June 2011

A new worry

So last week I saw the hygienist. Due to shortness of her working hours and two cancellations on my part (once as I was unwell, and once as O was home ill from school) I have been waiting to see her since December. And I saw her last week, to be told I have gum disease. I'm a bit narked as I would have had it treated long since.

I'm not sure if it has advanced to periodontal disease, I think she said it had, but that is Not Good.

This morning a crown which has been happily in situ for about 15 years just fell out. So I thought I'd look further into the causes of dental rubbishness during pregnancy.

Studies have indicated the bacteria can pass to the foetus and cause harm. There is one - just one - Daily Mail et al reported case of a stillbirth caused by the bacteria. More credible recent studies indicate there is not necessarily any link between gum disease and risk to the foetus, but there is a lot of literature to suggest there is. The link supposedly is to preterm delivery and low birthweight; the latter applying to full term babies as well as pre term.

I do know better than to ask Dr Google anything. The stillbirth is only reported in sources renowned for dubious "facts". The link is reported on general scaremongering sites.

The hygienist indicated no need for concern, other than a desire to stop the receding gums in their tracks. The gums are being treated, and I am now borderline OCD about dental hygiene.

I'm sure it'll be fine. But - yikes - something else to freak out about.








No comments:

Post a Comment