Wednesday 8 June 2011

Enough!

It's a big bump, I get it. There are reasons for this:

1) it's got a baby, placenta and what not in it
2) you can assume that twins might cause a bit of excessive stretching
3) I wasn't skinny when I conceived.
4) I haven't really expanded all over

I can accept that it may look surprisingly big. But is it necessary to comment habitually? One of my colleagues has commented at least once at day since she found out I was pregnant.  Admittedly that was less than a month ago as she's been off, but still. Every day??? Yesterday she was suggesting I'd have the baby earlier than I expected because I'm so big. Because babies are born as soon as they reach a certain size? Because  the sonographers and I are inept at calculating dates?

I can accept that people might comment.
Once. If they haven't seen me for a while.
Preferably to someone else so I can't hear.

I may well have in the past, indeed I know I have, commented to a third party that someone seems bigger than I expected. I think pregnant ladies always do, you go through a not-that-pregnant, not-that-pregnant, not-that-pregnant, HUGE without ever passing "a wee bit pregnant". Maybe with the first one, certainly not with subsequent babies.

Never, ever have I said it to the someone in question. I wouldn't. I might say that their bump is lovely and neat, or that they're looking lovely, or how can you look that neat if you're about to have a baby?? but never, ever comment on the largeness of a woman's girth.

They wouldn't say "you're looking a bit fat" if I wasn't pregnant and I had a big tummy, which is partly what they are actually saying now. Baby is normal sized, fluid volume is normal, therefore it is me that is big. Not the baby within.

And seriously, the number of people that think it's ok to repeatedly ask if I'm sure it's not twins? That is rude. One socially impaired person actually went so far as to say you are sure, you've definitely seen it on a scan, there wasn't one hiding? That same soul remarks "you ARE big" every single time she sees me take my jacket off. Yes, that'll be the baby. Another charmer who generally keeps her remarks to a weekly basis was chortling yesterday about how enormous I'm going to be. Ho ho!

I get it. I can hardly wait for the next school term to start after the summer holidays. I shall be 34 weeks pregnant, presumably the size of a medium country and very waddlesome.

Although if I express my concerns about the school run in  the late stages of pregnancy, I get repeat idiocy that I was subjected to with the twins that I'll "hopefully" go really early. 6 weeks early in this case. Yes, that's what I dream of, a premature baby so I can be less uncomfortable.

Why why why, at a time when you're hormonal and grumpy, do people feel the need to dismiss all social niceties??

No comments:

Post a Comment