Wednesday 15 June 2011

Leg of dissent

My leg has gone mad. One of the muscles just above my left knee has been twitching madly all day. I'm not unduly alarmed (slightly too aware of my own mortality at present to be completely calm about anything) as it isn't sore/swollen/veiny but it is rather disturbing. Googlage reveals that muscle twitching is relatively common in pregnancy. Many (loony) hits suggest it's an electrolyte deficiency and so recommend a variety of untested dubious tinctures that haven't been accepted by the medical profession. Sorry, I think the accepted term there is "alternative medicine". Herbal maybe, or homeopathic if you don't really care for correct nomenclature. Or as I said, untested. (I'm not a fan).

What I am prepare to do is eat a banana in an attempt to boost potassium.

*pause for banana getting*

I do like bananas, and they are proving to be a pregnancy wonderfood. I previously found them to be wondrous in their anti nausea ability. Now they provide an simple non-healthfood-shop source of potassium. And they're yummy.

Leg is still twitching. It would seem it takes more than a minute to reach my muscles. Pah!

I have now finished the breastfeeding book by Clare Byam-Cook. I liked it, I am convinced that I want to go for a little bit of breastfeeding, I am also convinced I am not exclusively breastfeeding until 12 months. Nuh uh. I did subscribe to Practical Parenting, my pregnancy magazine du choix, and elected to get a free breast pump. So the intention is there.

The book was good, but I have to agree with the reviews that say its old fashioned. While I agree with some of her views, they aren't quite the party line with regard to weaning and formula preparation, amongst other things. On some things I applaud her sense however, but it is not the most up to date tome. For tips on breastfeeding it is a goldmine, so I recommend it for that alone.

Kaz Cooke's Rough Guide to Babies and Toddlers is both no nonsense and full of up to date advice.

Today I was delighted to receive Christine Hill's "A perfect start". So far, so excellent. "The not-so-perfect parents survival guide" it claims. That's me!

My leg is starting to be sore. I may phone someone in the morning just to check it's normal with regard to blood pressure and being very very old.

Pelvis not good today, walking was particularly difficult and pain was definitely increased. This may have contributed to the mad leg. Don't know.







No comments:

Post a Comment