Wednesday 25 May 2011

Womb music

Baby can hear, has been able to for a couple of weeks. So baby is getting musical stimulation.

Not classical. Anyone who has ever suffered the programme Little Einsteins will appreciate why.

We started with the Phantom of the Opera, by chance, around the time hearing would have kicked in. The only musical I really like aside from the odd song (Memory, Over the Rainbow, others) and I do adore it.

At some point I heard that moment's greatest song in the world and having established it was by Arcade Fire, I now have a playlist of songs of the moment. Human by the Killers is my favourite again and we listen to that a lot, loudly, in the car and in the house. I sing along as well which must be rather awful from inside. Sorry baby!! There's most of the back catalogue of Arcade Fire and the Killers on there. We likes. Ok, I likes.

We also have Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by Fredrika Stahl which is lovely, and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Glee, also lovely. I have never incidentally watched a second of Glee, but I think that's a nice version of Eve Cassidy's version of the song. Also, the gorgeous mobile we had for the boys, and which I really hope we didn't give away, plays Over the Rainbow so nice if she knows the tune.

O is obsessed with You're So Cool from True Romance, that will definitely be familiar. R's current favourite is Handle With Care by The Travelling Wilburys, but he isn't quite as obsessed so we don't have that as often. And obviously we do listen to the rest of the playlist, baby went wild today for Nick Cave - Ship Song. She either liked it, or hated it so much she was desperately trying to reach "next" from the womb.

It may be nonsense. The boys jiggled most to Hallelujah by John Cale, which calms ALL babies, and to Hero by Enrique Iglesias. I played Hero recently and the boys fell silent instantly. Gotta be some connection, they're not shy to dismiss my music if they dislike a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment