Monday 30 May 2011

Birth plan

When I was having my twins, up until the 36 week scan (twin pregnancies necessitate 4 weekly scans, which is lovely) both of them were breech, we were on for a caesarean. As such I didn't pay all that much attention to antenatal classes and what not. Not for me, thought I.

36 weeks and R was head down, they said. So induction it was to be, as they don't like you to go overdue with twins in case you pop or something like that. Refocus mind to natural birth and think, hmm, I've not done this before I think I might just trust the experts.

My birth plan was a lot like this:

I do want the babies to have the vitamin k injection.

My husband doesn't want to cut the cords.

I'd prefer to avoid general anaesthetic.

Other than that I leave it to the medics to make the best decisions for me and my babies
.

Nobody read it in the end.

As R was breech on the day (at 38 weeks and 6 days) the twins were delivered by caesarean anyway, after much it's a head/no it's a bottom/no it's a head/let's just go for a section.

Anyway. This is my proposed birth plan for this time:

Have planned caesarean section.

This doesn't apply if she comes early. Supposedly if I am in advanced labour I will be keen (keen? Really?) and indeed expected to carry on with a natural delivery, but as I fully expect to be at the hospital approximately 24 seconds after any water breakage or contractions, this is unlikely.

As I got to nearly 39 weeks with "they always come early" twins after not a hint of imminent labour, I guess I'm not an early dropper. Not to mention the fact that she's so far been fast forwarded 2 weeks already and they're planning a 39 + 2 delivery date so early is really unlikely.

The VBAC option has been dismissed. Way too risky for me and baby. In case you wondered.


No comments:

Post a Comment