Tuesday 31 May 2011

Big baby?

I'm having concerns about the size of my baby. Not serious concerns, just minor niggles.

Namely: her brothers were a normal good size and they were twins. R was 7lb 1. So if that's what twins grow to inside of me, then what will a singleton do? Second babies are supposedly larger than first, which I take to be second pregnancies, I don't think it increases with every baby.

Plus my bump is (slightly, not comment-worthily) big, I was measuring 24cm on Friday, which is within the normal range of 2cm either way of expected (22cm at 22 weeks) but still bigger. Her lengths were all normal at the scan, but normal has a range. An 11lb baby is normal.

As I don't plan to deliver naturally (reason #876), that isn't an issue, but I am concerned about how the old pelvis will hold out. For the last 6 weeks before B-Day, I will have to transfer the boys to and from school.

Who knows. I was 2 weeks early and was something like 6lb. Hubby was 6 weeks early and tiny. My niece was 35 weeks and just under 4lb. These things don't indicate a big baby genetically.

Having said that, my mother didn't smoke but the mothers of the other 2 mentioned babies did. One thing that seems to be common to all smoking mothers-to-be in my experience is premature, small babies. So possibly irrelevant.

Maybe twins aren't small, that maybe takes into consideration the early arrival of many twins. And the fact that twins are considered "full term" at something like 34 weeks instead of the 37 for single babies.

I could perhaps aid baby by eating less sweeties. I never eat sweets much normally, and I am eating pounds of sweets. Ridiculous!! Way to give myself gestational diabetes.

Kicking is marvellous, I discovered today that she will kick in response to my voice, possibly objecting to the booming voicebox. But it's still cool to talk and get a response. It may make me look like a lunatic, I can't say that I have entirely restricted this to home ("that was a bit loud wasn't it?" or "hello there!" in response to a kick) but at home I chatter away about what we're having for lunch etc. The boys will chat to her as well; O told me off earlier for being mean to her when I said she was a lazybones for not kicking on demand.

For all I am sore, tired, grumpy and overwhelmed, I wouldn't swap this for anything. I thought today how utterly wonderful it is to be a woman and have a life growing inside you. I will always look fondly back at this stage and remember these kicks and how special it felt. I do feel womanly and goddesslike today.

Not sexy though. That's mad.

Ooh, madness, that's reminds me...




No comments:

Post a Comment