Monday 23 May 2011

Pelvic fail

Today my pelvis actually went on strike. It was mightily painful/uncomfortable through the night and today simply wasn't playing the being-a-pelvis game. Specifically, we have now added sitting to the things I can't do. My pelvis feels bruised, as if I spent the whole weekend on the back of a horse or riding a bike on particularly rough terrain.

I may add, as I needed to when talking to the physio, no, I didn't actually do anything like that over the weekend. Or it wouldn't be notable.

Sitting: most painful
Crossing legs: unbearable sore
Sitting down and not crossing legs: impossible
Walking: painful on the lower back and thighs.
Lying down: lower back does not tolerate.
Standing still: ok.

Luckily today's extra ouchiness coincided with my physio appointment. I now officially have pelvic girdle pain, or PGP. It seems having somewhat lax stomach muscles and less than perfect posture can be blamed, although I am mystified as to why my equally untoned stomach and slumped posture didn't cause my pelvis to give up when I was carrying TWO BABIES.

I have been given the least attractive item ever for support. It is a tubigrip. Really. Exactly the same as you get for your ankle, but bigger. It goes from my braline to my hips and it positively delightful. It does help a lot, but it is very warm and itchy and not that nice to wear.

Other things I am to do:

Attempt to use my stomach muscles and correct my posture.

Sit on cushions and what not

Try and "rock" my pelvis. Ha. That's wayyyyy too sore.

Limit movement. This is kind of instinctive in the face of pain. But still, it's nice to have it told to you. Do less. Ok!!










No comments:

Post a Comment