Thursday 3 March 2011

The madness of others

With my ongoing worry of twins, I looked up when the uterus is meant to rise out of the pelvis. I found a lot of people who rely on the height of the fundus (top of uterus) for dates as they don't want ultrasound. Including people who were measuring several weeks further on than they thought they were and suspected twins but refused to have an ultrasound.

Huh?

So I googled "reasons not to have an ultrasound"...

It causes autism apparently. And the screeching of the ultrasound will be intolerable for the foetus. And it can make your child left handed.

I jest not. Here is one such discussion:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/opinions/5239/

(soz, you have to copy n paste)

Incidentally, the link provided in that collection of paranoia does mention investigating causes of autism but does not mention any connection to ultrasound.

Why is ultrasound used? because it's safe.

Reasons why to think otherwise is idiotic:

The sound thing: foetuses (foetii?) do not have canine hearing. They do not "hear" ultrasound.

There's a mention of "the sound waves on microwaves being hot enough to heat food".
Microwaves ovens: use microwave radiation. There's a clue in the name.

People really do amaze me sometime. Oh how blessed I am with an enquiring mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment