Friday 18 March 2011

11 weeks

And so we begin week 12...

Symptoms: today I have felt particularly nauseous, which I did hope to be easing a bit. Not so today, smells were bad and I actually thought I was going to throw up at one point. Boobs have gone mad, muchos sensitive today and the colour has changed and spread. They are covered in the little tiny bumps called Montgomery Tubercles which look like mould. Lovely stuff.

I had my midwife booking in visit today at the house. All fairly uneventful, but I did discover:

Forth Park (the maternity hospital) now do Nuchal Fold screening as standard. Which checks the fold of skin at the back of the neck; if thickened it can be indicative of Downs. They also do the blood test for Downs/Spina Bifida at the initial scan. So any risk should show up early and hey, what fun to have new worries. No. That's not the point. The point is to have more invasive but conclusive tests if a high risk is present.

This is where I get a bit twitchy about being "over 35". Only just over 35, I think my Downs risk is about 1 in 400. As my husband rightly pointed out, if I had 400 babies 1 would have Downs.

The other thing I discovered was that if I don't want a VBAC and really want another Caesarean, they will do what I want. That doesn't mean they won't heavily lean on me to change my mind but it is reassuring to have the final say.

7 sleeps now.






No comments:

Post a Comment